No doubt you’ve seen green beer highlighted at a bar for St. Patrick’s Day a couple of weeks ago, and maybe you’ve even tossed back a few to celebrate the holiday. But what about making sure your beer is ‘green’ – meaning, earth-friendly – all year?
- Opt for an organic brew. When grown commercially, beer ingredients are typically chock-full of pesticides and chemicals. Do yourself and mother earth a favor by choosing beers made with fresh, pesticide-free hops, wheat, and barley.
- Go for glass over aluminium. When you have the option, it’s always best to choose glass over cans since recycling glass is more environmentally friendly. Also, look for bottles packaged with little or no paper labels. More paper and packaging = more waste.
- Hosting a party? Skip the cans and bottles and go for the keg! Kegs are a win-win for your wallet and the environment. Not only are kegs reusable, but they also cut down on the waste you’d normally accumulate with loads of bottles and cans.
- When you break out the keg, be sure to have reusable glasses and cups on hand for your guests. Steer clear of those convenient solo cups – they will inevitably end up in a landfill near you.
- Order beer on tap when dining out. Many restaurants recycle, but it’s always best to use fewer individual bottles. And if your favourite establishments don’t recycle, now may be the perfect time to kindly suggest that they start.
- Speaking of recycling, be sure to remember to sort your own empties into your recycling bin. If you haven’t gotten involved your local recycling program yet, there’s no better time than the present to locate your best local options and nearest centers.
- Another great way to green your brew is to sip on some local brews. These days more and more beer enthusiasts are breaking into the brewing scene. And the good news for us? These beers are traveling shorter distances so they are often less expensive and fresher than foreign imports. Look for beer festivals and brewery tours near you to begin sampling some local flavors
♣The Go Green SC ♣